Monday, February 23, 2009

Lose Weight While You Sleep

For real? This article in Glamour (one of my sinful delights) talks about getting seven and a half hours of sleep a night to lose weight. I go to sleep around 10 and wake up at 4:30... not quite 7.5 hours. What do you think? If skimping on sleep can make you gain weight, can getting enough help you lose weight? How much sleep do you average a night?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting up at 4:30am is crazy!! I usually sleep from 10:30 until 6:30...give or take. And possibly with a quick run to the kids room (almost 2). Obviously sleep plays into our health and well being, but specifically to weight loss/gain, I am not convinced.

How is being positive about the job going? That really struck a cord with me. I usually enjoy my job (working at a Big 12 University), but we have been going through a lot of change, and it is hard to remain positive sometimes. So I can related. And for me, that frustration/annoyance spills into my family life, which sucks, since I only have so much time with my husband and daughter, I hate to spend it pissy. You reminded me to not dwell on the bad, but focus on the good.

Anonymous said...

I get about 7 hours of sleep every night or less during the week. On the weekends, it's about 8 or so. Sometimes that sleep is disrupted by the baby, but that's getting much better these days. I believe that getting more sleep will help you lose weight. The more rest you get, the more energized you are to be active during the day and burn calories.

Annie said...

Kirsten - Being positive about the job is going decently well. Margaret totally keeps me on track. My team lead here is quite the vindictive and hypocritical bitch, so it's hard to keep my complaints to myself, but I'm trying my best. It does get easier every day... this might actually go into March, as I was hoping. One day, maybe the positive attitude will be automatic - like it used to be for me before this crap hit the fan. I used to be an optimist.

Thanks for commenting - I wondered if you were still reading! ;-) I went to a Big 12 school... wonder if it's the same one. Are you in the south?

Margaret and Kirsten - how do y'all get so much sleep???? Don't you have chores to do? Don't you have bills to pay? Don't you have trashy reality shows to watch? Maybe I've got more than my fair share because Big D is at work so much.

Anonymous said...

March is just a few days away...you can do it!

I am in the Big 12 North. The school where I work (and attended for 7 years!) used to have an awesome football team, now, not so much... Where did you go? I am a faithful reader, but not a good commenter...since I don't have a blog, I often feel guilty reading. :)

I do many of my chores on the weekends, and then my husband does his half (probably 1/3). I am sure it is easier for us since we both have fairly predictable schedules. I am also an a wee bit anal, and have a day to day schedule of chores and such to keep us in line! :) And yes, I like to spend my evenings watching trashy reality tv (top chef broke my heart last night), but DVR has really helped me remember that tv doesn't rule my life (usually).

Anonymous said...

Luckily the hubby takes care of the checkbook and helps out with the dishes, which I can never leave to sit overnight or else I won't sleep. As for all the other chores, the house just stays a mess until I have time to clean it on the weekends. With two kids, even if I do clean in during the week, five minutes later it's a mess again so what's the point?

You definitely get more then your fair share with Big D not having a steady schedule. But it will all pay off for you in the end!!!

Annie said...

Oh my gosh! I haven't even watched the first part of the Top Chef finale. I like all of the chefs, so I don't think I'll care who wins. Maybe I'll feel differently when I watch the shows. I'm also totally into the Real Housewives of NY. Maybe if I used the time I spend watching trashy TV searching for a job, I'd be gainfully employed again!

You both need blogs, by the way!