Here's the bizarre post I promised at the end of my last (very sad) post:
So here I was driving to work. Like the self portrait? It looks like I'm driving on the right side of the car, but it's just my camera being bass-ackwards.

I take some back roads into downtown to avoid most traffic. I go through an icky industrial area in which I'm sure I'd be mugged if I ever got a flat tire. (That being said, I got a flat tire in September not long from this icky area, managed to pull into a Dr. Pepper distribution center, proceeded to get the tire about halfway changed, before a nice guy named Andy helped me finish the job. I tried to give Andy a $5 - it was all I had - so he could buy himself a beer for his trouble. He said that was insulting, because he just wanted to help a stranger out. I managed to get him to take a Handi Wipe for his grease covered hands, though. He is proof that nice people still exist.)
So, anyway... every morning, I drive through industrial area. It's a pretty boring drive. There's never too many cars, so most people ignore the stop lights (except for me... I'm such a dork!). Train tracks run through the area. Sometimes I get kinda sad, because I used to represent the railroad that owns the right of way there. I see the engines and cars with the railroad's name on it, and it makes me sad for leaving that job. But, as usual, I digress.
So on this particular day, I was bored as usual, when all of a sudden, I saw the oddest thing ever.

What is this, you ask? Look closer. (I apologize, my phone was the only camera I had on hand -other than the disposable in my glove box in case I get in another car accident.)

Some dude actually spent the time to pain the tailgate of his truck. And it was ugly. On the left is a Mayan pyramid looking thing. A big old snake head is in the middle. An eagle sweeps across the top towards the upper right. And my favorite part? The grim reaper on the right side.
WTF is this supposed to be? I don't get it. Poor little (formerly) rich girl doesn't understand why people paint their tailgates with funky pictures including grim reapers. I'm originally from a small town, and I didn't see stuff like this growing up. In my small town, tailgates usually wore dents and rust as badges of honor after years of abuse. Trucks were never nice and pretty. The whole concept of treating a truck well is bizarre to me. And then to paint the tailgate? I just don't get it.


1 comment:
Neither do I. All it does is distracts other drivers and probably causes a bunch of accidents. And the grim reaper??? Too strange for words.
Post a Comment