Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Test Run

So Big D is going out of town on business from Sunday to Wednesday. A couple of years ago, I would have started calling my girlfriends and setting up happy hours. I'd plan to tackle a project that I hadn't been able to get to. I'd stock up on wine and chick flicks. Not this year... this year I have a Monster.

This will be the first time I'll be alone overnight in our house... and the first time alone overnight with The Monster. Her sleeping has improved dramatically since she's been able to flip over onto her tummy, but she still does not sleep through the night. Since I have to get up and pump, Big D always takes care of her night time feeding and diaper change. So for three nights, I'll have to do it all - all the diapers, all the feedings, sterilizing the bottles, reading to her, bathing her, picking her up and dropping her off at school, teaching her the first 10 digits of Pi (kidding... kind of) will be up to me. This is a good test run, though, because Big D's new job that starts this summer will take him away from home overnight periodically. At first, he'll be gone every 6th or 7th night, but there is one month where he will be working overnight, every night. Ugh. That month is not until next year, though, so there's no point freaking out about that just yet. Though I do tend to freak out about things before they really become issues. (I can picture all of my friends reading this with a knowing smile.) Overall I'm optimistic that things will go well next week... hopefully they do. If not, I've got two grandmothers on speeddial who would love to come out and help.

3 comments:

Megan said...

wow....the Monster looks like BigD in that picture!

So, you know Auntie Megan could always come help out one of those times. :)

Annie said...

Does she?

March is the overnight month... gonna.suck.so.bad. Maybe we'll come up there when he's overnight on the weekend sometime - I owe you some serious travel! You've visited me three times in a row. This "I have a baby" excuse will only get me so far. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to disagree; I think she looks just like Annie on that picture. When the dimples aren't showing, it's all Annie:-)