Thursday, April 3, 2008

Introducing Baby to Solids

The Monster turns five months this week... that means we have one more month to figure out what to get her for the solids phase we're about to enter. You wouldn't think it would be hard to pick up some spoons and bowls, but as an overanalyzer, I like to find the safest yet easiest products to use. The Soft Landing Baby Blog has some great suggestions for safe feeding products. In fact, right now they have a contest going on to win one of two solid feeding kits. What a great way to get a couple of items to get started on solids. Of course, I entered, and you can too... click here.

At home, I already have a few of the Bumpkins super bibs. What else will I need to start introducing solids... some spoons and bowls? Do the bowls need to have lids? Was there a particular brand of baby food that your kiddo liked or did you make it yourself? I have so many questions buzzing around in my head - good thing I have a little while longer to figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (this, of course, assumes someone reads my blog...)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used Gerber, and I bought the organic if they had it available. You will definitely need spoons, and the narrower ones are better to start with because The Monster will unlikely start out eating solids by opening up wide. You will need bowls if you make your own baby food, and I would suggest buying bowls with lids so that you can store the food in the fridge for the next day and have a proper seal. I did not make my own food, so I just fed my little girl the food out of the jar it came in, unless I heated it up. Even then, the infant bowls are not microwavable. You and The Monster will do just great and will have so much fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips, Anonymous!

Megan said...

Pizza and sushi...those should be baby's first foods. just give them to her and let her go to town! I kid I kid! ;)

Annie said...

Even if I can't give her sushi for a while, she will definitely learn how to yell "Unagi!" and "Danger!"

Anonymous said...

I am totally freaked about all the hoopla with the BPA found in plastics, so I'm trying to stick to foods in glass jars. If I have to use plastic, I make sure to reheat it in a safe bowl.

Annie said...

Anonymous - Gerber's plastic is BPA free. Yes, it's labeled #7, but a reliable source has contacted them, and they say their plastic is safe. (See the comments at this link - http://safemama.com/2008/04/09/bpa-in-plastics-featured-on-today-show/) Safe Mama is a great site to help sort out what's okay versus what isn't. Hope that makes you feel a little bit better!