Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Separated at Birth...

So I have this friend C.B. who I've know for years and years. We met in 5th grade, and we were friends all the way through high school, even though I was in band and she did all that artsy fartsy stuff that I don't get. ;-) After high school graduation, her family moved away and we went to rival universities and lost touch. Until recently. We reconnected through our high school's alumni page. Turns out, we live near each other and have babies a month apart. Amazing. We're approaching our 30s now, and despite the fact that we haven't seen each other since we were 18, our lives have ended up very similar. Check out these quotes from this e-mail I got from her last night.

"I am embarrased to say I have documented every feeding since my baby was born. I even made a little spreadsheet. I'm such a nerd."
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!! I too have written down every single thing that The Monster has eaten! Before we stopped actually nursing, I would even write down what side she nursed on, how long, and what position we used. When that failed at 4 weeks of age, I began writing down how much I fed her from the bottle. And I have a pumping journal as well so that I can see if my milk supply is going up or down. And yes, I keep it all on an Excel spreadsheet with trendlines so I can see the progress. Excel is the coolest program ever. Now who's the nerd?

"When he goes down for naps I race frantically around the house picking up. I get this frantic inability to concentrate on any one task because I'm thinking of so many things I could be doing. "
I totally do this. I think, "I'll load the dishwaser." But on the way to the dishwasher, I see that the stack of mail on the counter hasn't been sorted. So I'll do that, and then see that some bills need to be paid, so then I pay one or two before I see that The Monster's bottles need to be cleaned, so I'll leave the rest of the bills and clean a couple of bottles. The dishes just sit there while I buzz around the house in this ADD-like race to see how many tasks I can start and not finish before The Monster wakes up.

"My husband told me the other day that he mistakenly thought that when I quit work he would find himself living in an immaculate house, married to a nymphomaniac who is also a gourmet cook. He forgot to factor in the baby."
Haha!!! This cracks me up most of all! The second The Monster goes down for a nap, Big D's like, “hey baby...” Are you kidding me? I have cleaning projects to start...


Naptime!


What I love about C.B.'s e-mails is that I totally relate to what she's saying. We do a lot of the same things and react to stessors and situations in similar manners. I think we were separated at birth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first read the quotes and I totally thought that was you writing them. I so get the multi-tasking with a baby (in my case toddler). Sometimes when my husband gets home, the sink is running from the dishes I started washing, the washing machine is full of water waiting on me to drop in the last piece of clothing that Nikki had some sort of accident in, something is burning on the stove, and I'm chasing after Nikki to put on her underwear after potty time. That's not to mention the tens of other projects I have started and not finished. I think it's our determination to be supermom, something I will never get down.

MsTAO said...

I like to call that "mommy brain". It seems like once motherhood hits so does ADD. For me, it started when I was pregnant and got worse since giving birth.

How funny that you write everything baby eats down. My husband wouldn't let me. You have to understand that I have a bit of OCD and can get carried away. He is my balance.

Annie said...

Margaret - you are a supermom - I've seen you in action.

Mojo Mama - come on... you can admit that you've been keeping mental tallies on what Little Man has been eating. ;-) I too have a touch of OCD; so does Big D. Luckily, we are OCD about different things. That's how we balance.