Thursday, March 5, 2009

Toddler Food

I found a new website: WholesomeToddlerFood.com. This is great. I'm a little retarded in the cooking department. I never learned how to cook when I was a kid, so I'm trying to learn now. It's a lot of trial and error. Big D has an open ticket to provide constructive criticism on my new dishes. And he does so, without fear of backlash. My mom told me that when she first married my biodad, she made him chicken and dumplings, to which he responded "this is not like my mother makes." I bet he got an earful that night. No earfuls for Big D; though to his credit, he does phrase things better than that.

In any event, you know the breakfast casserole I made? The Monster loves it now. In fact, I have fed it to her for dinner two nights this week. She can't get enough of it. Though, partway through dinner, I cut off of the crack and insist on a fruit or vegetable.

Her liking the casserole has given me hope that maybe she'll eat more than applesauce, yogurt, and chicken nuggets (she has now sworn off of peas). So I'm going to try a new recipe a week. Bonus points if it freezes well.

Enter wholesometoddlerfood.com. This coming week's selection will be Farmer's Breakfast.
FARMER'S BREAKFAST

2 1/2 cups grated potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes) I will of course use the
easy frozen ones
1/4 cup margarine or butter (I'll cut this down cuz it sounds like a
lot)
2 T milk
6 eggs
1 cup chopped ham
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated cheese (if desired)

Place margarine or butter in frying pan and let melt. Add grated potatoes.
Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. In a small mixing bowl, mix the eggs and milk
together. Once potatoes are cooked, add ham and eggs. Stir until eggs are
cooked. Sprinkle with cheese then serve.

Apparently this one freezes well. Which is awesome since I work/commute 12 hours a day. I give The Monster milk in the mornings when I wake her up. But when I drop her off at school an hour later, she sits down for a "real" breakfast. Usually rice cereal (for the iron) and a Yo Baby yogurt. I'm branching out though. This week, I've sent her with a blueberry muffin (which I made myself at 10 p.m. Sunday night thankyouverymuch) and some cut up cheese. Next week, maybe I'll send some "Farmer's Breakfast" assuming I can get her to eat it this weekend.

I'd love for her to eat eggs. I read on CNN.com last week that some crap in eggs and broccoli can reverse the effects of BPA. My apologies for not being able to find the article this morning. I really did read that. And I'm sure some BPA stuff was used for The Monster until I went all Earth Mama when she was about a month old. But I digress. I need to make this child eat more of a variety of food, and I think this website can help. (Shame on me, though, my mom got me two awesome toddler food recipe books for Christmas, and I've only tried two recipes from them. I'll report on those later - they went over well. The problem with the books, though, is that I never remember to look at them when I am home. I'll work on that too.)

No comments: