This post was prompted by my friend Corrie starting to potty train her son. He's a month older than The Monster. I guess that means I can't be in denial anymore. One day, this child is going to have to use the ladies' room, and I'm freaking out.
I have lots of questions:
(1) When do I start this? The Monster is 16.5 months old.
(2) How do I know when she's ready? She responds to simple commands ("hand me the teddy bear," "put away your toys," or "recite the preamble to the Constitution"), but saying "let's go pee pee in the potty" freaks me out. I don't particularly like talking about bodily functions.
(3) How do I start this?
(4) What kind of potty or other products did you use?
(5) Am I normal to be totally freaking out about the thought of this?
I'm the youngest in my family and had never even changed a diaper until after we got The Monster home from the hospital. I have zero experience in this department. I used to be so damned excited about getting her out of 40 cents a piece diapers, but now I'm totally nervous. What if she needs to go the potty in public on a public toilet seat with all those germs?????? I remember Margaret going through this with her oldest daughter. I thought to myself - thank goodness that's like years away for me - well... it's not anymore.
Can I put it off a little longer? I haven't even taught her to wash her own hands yet.
Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Haha! You're hilarious! I feel like just yesterday I was having the same thoughts and was asking you if I'm normal:-) I started potty training Nikki at around 18 months. She did great for the first few weeks, and then didn't want anything to do with it. Then I would stop for a week or two, and try again. We did this until she showed me she was ready right after her 2nd birthday. It was so frustrating during those months, but once she was ready, it toook less then a week. Since then, over a year now, she's had maybe 2 accidents, none at night. I think it's important to let them lead the way and tell you when they are ready. You can always start trying, but it's important to not get frustrated (and that is damn difficult).
You will know when she is ready. She will let you know by wanting to go to the potty. It's an accomplishment for them, so she will get excited.
I started it by taking her with me when I had to potty and having her do what I did. We kept her potty across from our toilet, so she would sit accross from me. It took a little while for something to actually come out. When it does, you act like it was the greatest accomplishment in the world. And don't be surprised if she starts wanting to show off her turds to your house guests. That's always fun.
I bought the Bjorn potty. It's the simplest but had the best reviews. I loved it, very simple to use and comfortable for them when they sit on it for 30 minutes at a time.
You're totally normal, especially about being freaked out in public. I raised my girl right. When she started her first day in preschool, she went to the restroom and started lining the seat with toilet paper. Haha! That's my girl!!
Main thing is don't rush it. Some kids have it down at 16 months, others don't until they are 3. Let the Monster do it at her own pace.
They'll sit there for 30 minutes!?! Won't their legs fall asleep? :-)
I am so not ready for this.
Don't let Annie fool you...she can totally sit on the potty for 30 minutes at a time. Miraculously she'll emerge and casually ask me if I know where the plunger is...
HAHAHAHA!!! You guys just made my day! That's hilarious!
Margaret had great advice. Just follow the Monster's lead. All Walter could talk about was tee-tee and I haven't used the bathroom by myself since he learned to walk. Oh, to poop in peace again someday...Anyway, buy the potty (we have the bjorn also) and just let it sit in the bathroom until she shows interest. Walter thinks it's a toy right now, and largely ignores it. He is much more into putting things into the big potty. I figure starting this early it will be a many, many month long process, but my nephew is 4 and still not trained so I so didn't want to find myself in that boat.
I third what Margaret said. When Claudia was about 15 months old we got a potty. She loved it and used it all the time...I thought, "oh, this is so easy!" But then she stopped and didn't even want to look at the potty. Now that she just turned two, she is interested again, so we are following her lead. I'd actually like to wait until summer so we don't have to deal with pants...just nice summer dresses (and no underwear!).
And she loves to come to the bathroom with me....always has. I'd like to poop in private again...someone please tell me that will happen...
Haha! I hear ya about pooping in private. I'm extra weird and I won't go anywhere but home. And then I must be alone, so I'll hold it all day at work, and then wait until The Monster is in bed.
But two weeks ago I had a stomach flu, and well - you can't wait until naptime under those conditions! I had her in the little toilet room with me while I did my business and let's just say it became so unpleasant, she started banging on the door to be let out! I just about died laughing.
I will echo what everyone else has said...follow The Monster's lead. I started training our Little Miss when she was 2, I think. And, she wasn't fully trained until age 3. It's hard not to get frustrated, I know. But, it will happen! It just has to be at their pace and on their time.
We used the Bjorn potty seat that goes on the actual toilet. I think it was very comfortable for Busy. Sounds like no matter what product you use (mini potty or potty seat for toilet), go with Baby Bjorn!
And, one last thing...I totally have germ issues and avoid public bathrooms AT ALL COST. Ick! We have carried a travel potty in the back of our car for years now. (Still do.) It's called The Travel Potty by Cool Gear.
This is something I couldn't live without. It goes with us EVERYWHERE: in the car, to the beach, in our luggage to use at our destination when we travel, etc. Love it!
Thanks for all the advice, y'all! Since The Monster's only interest in the toilet is banging on the lid with her toys, we'll hold off for a while. Which takes the pressure off. One less thing to worry about. Awesome!
Post a Comment