Thursday, August 14, 2008

Unemployed, Day 1

Or maybe this is day 2. Well, whatever. I woke up early and started job searching. I need to go out and by some resume paper and envelopes, so today I focused on online applications. I'm hoping to get a job in-house, meaning not at a law firm. I wouldn't have to bill a client in 6-minute increments. And generally in-house positions are with large corporations with great benefits and retirement plans. Though I'm not being picky. I'll take what I can get. We won't last long without me having a job. Big D took The Monster to school on his way to work. Yesterday, my mother-in-law asked me if I was going to withdraw her from school. The waiting list is just too long to lose her spot. We signed her up in April for a spot that opened up in January. Plus, it'd mess up her routine. And I can't exactly search for a job and send out resumes with her around. She requires too much attention. If I were half-heartedly looking, that'd be fine, but because I'm spending every waking moment doing this, I'm putting all of my attention into it... which means The Monster goes to school. Big D starts working nights tomorrow. That should be fun.

This afternoon Big D's mother, grandmother, and cousin are coming by. His cousin lives in the Pacific Northwest, so we don't see her all that much. Originally, they were going to come up in the afternoon, because Big D would be home. I was going to join them about 6:30 when I got home. But surprise, I'm here! My mother-in-law was in absolute shock when I told her I had lost my job. Actually, everyone has been. S of M&S has offered to come over tomorrow night when Big D is at work and help me drink away my sorrows.

I'm not sure what we'll do for my birthday. Dinner out at Chick Fil A? It's sad really. I was doing Money this morning, and realized that we spend a LOT of money on eating out. Yeah, that stopped yesterday. I told Big D that we'll be eating pasta, grilled cheese, PB&J, and hot dogs for the foreseeable future. He said, "Yum!" I do have two gift cards to two different restaurants in my wallet from Christmas - Applebee's and Olive Garden. Maybe we'll use one of those. I'm kinda bummed out at how I'll be "celebrating" my birthday, but Megan said to not worry about it. "Celebrate in a few months!" Yeah, I could do that.

I'm strangely optimistic. Yesterday, Big D said it was my denial talking. But today, I still feel as though this has happened for a reason. Like I'm going to find a fabulous job. Or maybe it's to give me a big old kick in the butt so that I realize that we can live much cheaper than we are. Whatever the reason, I keep thinking of The Sound of Music, when Maria is sent away from the abbey to be a governess. "Every time the Lord closes a door, somehow he opens a window." You think that applies to this situation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I was just telling my hubby this morning, "everything happens for a reason." I'm hoping this little bump in the road is just a little detour to a much better job for you! :)

Corrie said...

So sorry to hear about your job, but I also feel things happen for a reason. If they're that anti-family you'd have never been happy there anyway. Now you can move on to better things. Good luck in the search. I'll be thinkin' about you!