I have been slapped in the face. Figuratively speaking.
I was fired this morning. I was told that the firm doesn't have time to train me and that I misrepresented my level of experience to them. I call bullshit. I was nothing, if not honest, about the fact that I would be entry level regarding the particular type of law this firm practices.
In any event, I know exactly what happened. I missed work on Tuesday due to the tropical storm (The Monster's school was closed), and then I had to stay home with her on Wednesday because of her croup and ear infection. I was in required continuing legal education on Thursday and Friday. I brought work home and got my assignments done and ready to turn in on Monday.
Two weeks ago, I had lunch with the boss, and he told me I was doing a good job and that he saw my potential. Two weeks later, I'm fired? Nothing has changed during that time, other than me having to call in for two days. It's clear that I was fired for being a mother. Lord forbid! This is exactly the fear I had when I took the chance on this new job. That is what I get for working at a firm where all of the attorneys have stay at home wives. The only other attorney who is a woman isn't married, and is like 50, so they don't have to worry about her popping any kids out... because obviously that would be the ultimate sin.
I'm extremely upset. Mostly I'm just embarrassed. Really embarrassed. Like people will think that I'm a bad worker. I hesitate to even blog about it. I've never been fired before. I've always been a good employee, and I feel like my work product has always been good... especially as I have become older and wiser. So now the job hunt begins. I've already applied to defer my student loan payments. We don't have a huge amout of savings, so I'm going to have to start hooking soon if I don't get a new job soon. Just kidding... kind of.
So I'm going to be unemployed on my 30th birthday. Happy birthday to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
:( You already know I'm at a loss of words...just know that I think you're fabulous and I love you.
I just don't know what to say! So sorry to hear this news. Keep us posted!
Post a Comment