I gave notice at my job today. I finally got a call back from first choice firm yesterday as I was headed to the drugstore for an arsenal of Tylenol and Motrin. They offered me the salary I was hoping for, and even said they'd increase it after a couple of months to account for the learning curve. It won't make up for the paycut Big D is about to take, but it'll take the edge off. I start the 16th. I was hoping to have the whole week of the 9th off to sit on my boo-tay, but I had to give two weeks' notice at work in order to be paid for my 9 days of accrued vacation. What a crappy policy. So I'll be working (read: surfing the internet, blogging, online shopping, and Starbucks drinking) until the 11th. Then I'll have three weekdays off. My mom is already trying to convince me to go out to her suburb to meet her for lunch. Yeah, right. There's no way I'm gonna make the hour drive out there on a day off when I could be counting the number of times I blink in an hour. I have my priorities.
My secretary is pretty sad I'm leaving. She gets really attached. This place is quite the rumor-mill, so after I told my boss (to which he replied, "Well, sheee-ittt, I knew this day was going to come") and we chit chatted about my decision and the direction of the firm for a while, we went out, called everyone together and told them all at once. I couldn't even look my secretary in the eye until after my boss made the announcement. I knew she knew, even before he opened his mouth. What I'll miss the most is seeing my friend Margaret every day. She and I met on this job, and have become quite good friends. We are partners in crime for breakfast tacos, Starbucks, Wendy's Frostys, and free gifts with purchase at Macy's. It will be sad not to see her every day, but I know we'll keep in touch. I just have that feeling, you know?
I wonder - how am I going to get three years of accumulated junk out of this office?
Ahh - the colored-donut thing from the 70s...did you have one? We got one for the Monster. It's new and improved now... it has beads that roll around in the red donut. Fancy schmancy!




4 comments:
Congratulations on the new job! Hope the Monster is feeling better soon.
Yay! Congrats on the new job! I'd been wondering if they EVER called you back. Sorry to hear the Monster has been sick. Hope she continues to feel better!
I know, I have the same feeling. I have no doubt that we will stay great friends, especially since we have been there for eachother through each of our pregnancies and our kids will all be pretty close in age. I'm so proud of you for finally getting to do what you wanted to do for a long time. Congratulations again!!!
YIPEE!!!!! I'm so happy for you! See everything turns out OK!! I know you and margaret will definately have continued adventures. So. . . can I quit and come be your new secretary? I'll be fun :-)
I'm glad the Monster is feeling better, her daddy has the healing touch.
Post a Comment