Friday, May 23, 2008

A Lesson in Patience

So on Tuesday, I returned for my second interview with first choice law firm. I met with the boss, who reviewed my writing sample and declared that I have inherent talent. I wanted to ask him to repeat himself, because surely I didn't hear him correctly. I've had my hopes of ever changing fields beaten into a bloody pulp on more than one occasion. Usually by a recruiter who stops returning e-mails or phone calls after I prove to not be worth a $200K commission. All that rejection, whether deserved or not, has turned me into a sad, depressed attorney who doesn't believe she is good enough to switch firms, let alone do what she actually wants to do. So when the boss said I had talent, I lit up like the Fourth of July.

He then took me down the hall to meet with the other two partners in the firm. They are many years younger than the boss. Big D and I suspect that the boss is about to retire, despite being sharp as a tack. In any event, I'd imagine that if that is the case, the final say as to whether or not someone is hired is up to the two younger guys. We chit chatted a little bit. We talked about my goals and aspirations. Blah blah blah. Then we shook hands, and I went on my merry way (via my favorite local makeup store where the eyeliners cost more than a month's rent). I felt much better after this meeting than I did on Monday. I felt like I may be able to fit in well in the firm's environment. Even with the gruff old man trottin' about. He asked me if I minded cussing, because he cusses a lot, and didn't want me to be offended. I don't expect him to know yet that I cuss like a sailor (though I'm tryin' real hard to quit!). At first the gruff old man seems scary, but I think maybe he's just so matter of fact and to the point that he doesn't add fluff to his statements to make them nice. I'm kind of like that at work. I think my paralegals are afraid of me because of that. But anyway, I have a story about a similar character on my trip to Europe in 1998, but I'll post it another time. I can hardly get my thoughts together because...

Wednesday morning, I got a phone call from the boss. He simply let me know that the firm would be extending me an offer. Then he said to talk to the two younger guys regarding terms and details. That was it. Seriously. He called just to tell me that? Well, that's great, but what ARE the terms and details? More specifically, how much are they going to pay me to sit at my desk in a cute suit with a cup of coffee pretending to work? I idolize Peter Gibbons and his ability to do space out at his desk. As instructed, I called and left a message for one of the young guys. He hasn't called me back yet, but hopefully I'll hear something soon.

It is Friday and I still have not heard back from the firm. 98% of me thinks that I shouldn't be worried. But there's 2% of me that thinks it's a bad sign that I haven't heard back in two days. They would never call to say they were going to offer me a job if they weren't going to, right? That would be pretty shitty. But people are shitty to each other sometimes. So instead, I sit here checking my cell phone and e-mail constantly. I need to learn some patience. I obviously have the job. So what's my hurry? The pay will probably go up a little bit, but not enough to start booking a trip to Tahiti. So what's the big rush to hear the terms? Unless they unexpectedly offer me next to nothing, I'm taking the job. So why can't I just sit back, relax, and enjoy my last couple of weeks at my current job? Because I'm an impatient perfectionist.

I want to give notice ASAP and then take a week off for myself. I want to sit on my butt, watch TV, hang up more pictures, and possibly soak my feet in the baby pool with my cowboy hat on. I'll also need to go shopping for new suits, because I can't be expected to start a new gig with my old threads, can I?

Oh my gosh, why haven't they called me back yet????? Any advice on how to get through this excruciating time?

1 comment:

Corrie said...

From one impatient perfectionist to another, I feel your pain!