Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mowing the Lawn

So Big D and I are obviously trying to save money, so Big D does our lawn. His schedule changes each month and is quite hectic, so often he lets the grass get a little long before he can to it. So anyway, during July, he was working 7 to 7 shifts, sometimes day shift, sometimes night shifts. During the day, it's too darn hot to mow the lawn. By the time he gets home, he has very little daylight left. Being the good wife that I am, I offered to help him with the lawn. My thought was I could mow and he could weedeat, edge, and use the blower thingy. So one Saturday evening, we went outside and got started. Big D showed me how to use the mower, and I started going around the perimeter of our front yard. We live on a corner, so there's a lot of grass to mow. It was awesome pushing that mower around and watching the pretty, even grass emerge. About ten minutes in, one of my neighbors came out and gave me the strangest look. Then she walked down the block a little bit, turned around, and went back home. I've never particularly liked this neighbor. I think she's quite rude and self-centered, but that's a story for another time. But in any event, on this particular Saturday evening, she appeared to be very judgmental. Big D even noticed the look she gave me. Now most you know I live in a snotty neighborhood. We did that on purpose: it's safe, has high property value, and awesome schools. Most people around here have a lawn service... and believe me, if I could afford one, we'd have one. As fun as it was that first time to mow the lawn, that shit is HARD! But I digress. Even though most people have a lawn service, there are still some people that do their own lawns. According to my neighbor, that's okay, as long as it's the man doing it. Apparently, I was defiling the neighborhood by helping Big D mow the lawn. Lord forbid a woman help her husband. He helps me with the indoor stuff, why shouldn't I help him with the outdoor stuff? I was quite proud to be out there doing "a man's work." I could barely move my arms the next day, but that's not important. What is important is that I have a neighbor who apparently disagrees with my doing the lawn. She looked like she thought she was better than me, because I was out getting dirty. Can you believe that?

Two nights later, she ended up on our doorstep. She thought her husband was having a heart attack, so she asked Big D to go take a look at him. Uh huh. Not judgmental then, was she? (He's fine, by the way.)

1 comment:

Corrie said...

I can totally relate. We don't have a lawn service either, so when Dan is gone for extended periods of time, the mowing becomes my job. People actually slow down to stare when they drive past. Glad to know there's another chick out there who can mow!