Christmas is always a hectic time of the year for us. With both families nearby, we try to fit in Christmas at multiple locations in just a couple of days. Toss in a set of divorced parents and mix with a side of out-of-towners, and it's a recipe for exhaustion.
CHRISTMAS EVE -We spent the day at Big D's grandmother's house. His mom and brothers were there as well as aunts and an uncle from out of town. I really enjoy his aunts and uncle. They crack me up with all of their jokes and still-slightly-hurt feelings from years past. The aunts are both cancer survivors, and it's amazing to see how vivacious they are now. They are truly a joy to be around.
The Monster with Big D's mom and aunt.
The Monster was a chaos-maker during stocking time. She would go up to one stocking, take something out of it, and then go explore another stocking. At the new stocking, she'd find something she liked better than the object in her hand, so she'd drop it and pick up something new. Repeat until no one can find their original gifts. Freakin' hilarious.

Aunt J. gave The Monster a ride in a box top!

PREPARING FOR SANTA - Growing up, my sister and I left egg nog containing a generous portion of rum for Santa. The Monster left Snickers, Reese's cups, and a Diet Dr. Pepper. Sounds just like Big D, doesn't it? There's also a note for Santa to fly safely. We don't want him in any sleigh accidents, do we?
CHRISTMAS DAY - In the morning, we put on matching pajamas (one of my crazy ideas that actually turned out okay) and opened a few presents. This Christmas was pretty lean, but full of lots of laughter and love, which is what it's all about, right?
Santa brought The Monster a bath-time fishing pole that magnetically picks up frogs and fish. Pumpkin was very interested in it, as well as a box of grow-your-own cat nip.

Santa also brought The Monster a holiday Cabbage Patch baby, a shape sorter, and a peek-a-boo book.
Mommy and Monster!
Here's The Monster learning to walk her plastic puppy dog, sent from my high school friend Lisa in New Jersey. (Thanks, Lisa!)
A day without a ride on the Pooh airplane wouldn't be complete!


Then we went to my parents' house. The Monster donned Christmas dress #2, which my dad picked up for her when he found out I was having a girl. That's very significant, because Dad doesn't go anywhere near the girl's department at stores. Except that one time in high school, when I ran my pantyhose before my senior year homecoming dance. We sent him to the deparment store to pick up another pair. Apparently he walked up to the first lady he saw, handed her the box, and declaring that he wasn't a pervert, asked for a pair of pantyhose for his daughter. She smiled at him, found what I needed, and he gratefully returned home. Fast forward 11 years - he was so excited about having a granddaughter that he picked out two dresses for her to wear, not knowing when either would fit. This dress was a little big, but perfect because it came from her Grandpa.
With her shape sorter.
Then we went to my parents' house. The Monster donned Christmas dress #2, which my dad picked up for her when he found out I was having a girl. That's very significant, because Dad doesn't go anywhere near the girl's department at stores. Except that one time in high school, when I ran my pantyhose before my senior year homecoming dance. We sent him to the deparment store to pick up another pair. Apparently he walked up to the first lady he saw, handed her the box, and declaring that he wasn't a pervert, asked for a pair of pantyhose for his daughter. She smiled at him, found what I needed, and he gratefully returned home. Fast forward 11 years - he was so excited about having a granddaughter that he picked out two dresses for her to wear, not knowing when either would fit. This dress was a little big, but perfect because it came from her Grandpa.
She learned to push books in on the shelves of their library.
Here she is after dinner having fun with the tupperware drawer as Grandpa looks on.
This picture was thrown in just to show that I have rejoined the club - the Itty Bitty Titty Club, that is. I officially weaned The Monster off the b-milk the week of Thanksgiving. It took a little while, but I have returned to normal. Finally!
Boots and a onesie. Hot. Kinda reminds me of my sorority days.
Snowflake pajamas from Big D's mom.
Cool hat, Monster!

I do have a picture of The Monster with Santa that I'll post as soon as I scan it in. For New Years, we're going to do what we did last year... drink a little champagne and play the Wii. Only this year, we have Mario Kart. Don't tell Big D - I had to leave work early to hunt down a copy the other day. He'll be so excited! Not a wild and crazy New Years, but that's alright. Big D has to work the next day (don't hospitals ever close?), and I'll be on Monster-patrol, so no hangovers allowed!
Hope you had a fabulous Christmas and that the New Year brings great things for you!!!
Hope you had a fabulous Christmas and that the New Year brings great things for you!!!


2 comments:
The pictures are awesome!! The Monster looks like she had a great Christmas and Santa was good to her. I just love the matching pajamas; very cute idea. And I'm sure Big D was thrilled:-) Don't worry about rejoining the club..it happens to the best of us:-)
I wish you lots of health, happiness and success for the new year!!
Awwwww, it looks like a great Christmas! I love/laugh at the matching jammies. :) The Monster sure is a cutie...I can't believe how big she's getting! I need to get down there, pronto
Post a Comment