So on to the birthday party! Our pediatrician warned against too big of a party because of stranger anxiety. The Monster has never had much stranger anxiety, except once when one of our friends (M of S&M) walked up a little too fast. M is very animated and friendly, and The Monster was like, "No way, dude!" She got over it quickly and loves him and his wife S a lot. In any event, despite the pedi's warnings, we planned a huge shindig. We have so many friends and family, we wanted them all to help her celebrate her big day.
I picked a tutu theme after The Monster's photo shoot in April when she wore a pettiskirt. When I was growing up, my older sister was in all sorts of classes: ballet, tap, jazz, and piano. My parents got divorced,* and my mom couldn't afford to send me to classes. Though I did take gymnastics at the YMCA. Anyway, when she remarried, my parents said I could take piano lessons. I was too old to start ballet, and I never had a dancer's body. Well apparently, I'm scarred for life, because I buy every ballet thing I find for The Monster. I don't to push ballet on her or anything, but the stuff is cute, and seems to me to be equivalent to me buying kitty stuff for her.
*for those who don't know the backstory - my mom remarried when we were young, and my stepdad adopted my sister and me... so he's who I consider my dad.
So anyway, my mom bought The Monster a pettiskirt for her birthday party. I picked up tutus for all of her friends to wear. And they looked so cute!!! I can't post their pictures, because I haven't asked their mommies' permission, but trust me when I say they're precious in their tutus. I do have standing permission from Margaret, so you'll see her girls in the pics to follow.
My mom also helped me decorate. The place looked great. And The Monster did beautifully with all the people around. My little social butterfly is bound to be a sorority girl like me, I reckon!
Now for the pictures!
Family from out of town arrived early so that they could spend some time with The Monster. Of course, they arrived during her nap. And then she woke up and wanted a bottle. Then I got her dressed up in her pretty pettiskirt, and she made her grand entrance...
She was a little hesitant at first...
But we held her a bit.
Then she was ready for her party to start. We put her down, and she was a little off balance in her fluffy pettiskirt! I was afraid I'd have to take it off for her to walk. But my little trooper figured it out and she was off!
My mom and I taught her the night before how to pull tissue out of a gift bag. We take a corner, tug on it a bit, and say, "Here you go, Monster! Open your present!" She caught on quick. Here she is post-tissue reaching for her present. I barely had time to read the card!
N and The Monster posing in their tutus.
The Monster loves her pink bouncy ball. Here she is handing it to my dad.
She had such a great time!

My dad helped her with her toys.

Cupcake time! This was hilarious! She has never had sweets before. I brought the cupcake over to her while we sang "Happy Birthday!" I put it down, and she looked at it for a second. Then she did what every kid does: she touched the icing. But she didn't really know what to think of it. Despite the fact that she puts everything else around the house in her mouth, she didn't put the icing in her mouth. So I got a little on my finger and offered it to her. She opened her mouth, and in went the icing. And then she spit it out! It was so funny. I offered her a bit more, and she shook her head "no." Freaking hilarious!!!!!! 

Here is The Monster with a "First Birthday" hat from my friend L in New Jersey. She likes to wear the rings from the classic Rock-a-Stack as bracelets.
The Monster had a wonderful birthday party. Lots of friends and family came by to help her celebrate, and for that we are very thankful. Though we struggle financially while Big D is in his residency, our lives are truly rich with friends and family.
N saying goodbye to The Monster.
My sister got her this cute Monster-sized arm chair. It's even got her name on it (I had to edit it out, though). The Monster loves it! Big D even gave her one of his old remote controls to hold. Haha!


2 comments:
So cute!! I see she's finally taken my advice that crying is 'bullshit'. You can thank me later. ;) I can't believe she's one!!! I have to get down there ASAP!
She is such a doll! And she looked gorgeous in her pettiskirt. You and your mom did a terrific job on the party. We were happy to help the Monster celebrate her first birthday!
Post a Comment