Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ramblings with no particular point

I'm assuming y'all have heard of the switch to digital television. I'm convinced it's a conspiracy. Or rather a result of lobbying Congress. I imagine that the guys who own the dtv towers lobbied congress to pass a law doing away with analog television so that their towers would increase in demand as well as increasing the sales of the converter boxes. Our local NBC station has been performing tests on occasion so you can see if you're "DTV Ready." Whatever. The TV in our bedroom was bought off my sorority sister when she married her husband in September 2001. It was old then. Our living TV is less than a year old. But we have satellite. So I thought we'd pass. So two months ago was the first of their little tests. We failed. FAILED. I don't fail at anything (hence the "perfectionism" in the title of this blog). Fabulous - so I tasked Big D with contacting Direct TV to see if our boxes were too old. I think we got the newer of the two boxes in 2006. It was a Valentine's present for me. Big D always gets me cool practical stuff that he can use as well. The year before he got me an ipod. Given how busy he is, he hasn't gotten the chance to call Direct TV yet. So the TV station did another test the other day. And we passed. Bizarre. I'm not really sure how that happened. I thought we were DTV failures. I guess not now. So that's some good news! Big D probably would have ended up signing us up for HD satellite service with the DVR in both the living room and the bedroom. And that would not be a smart move right now. So I'm really happy that we appear to be "DTV Ready!"


I've gotten back on the job searching bandwagon. I stayed home from work on January 2nd and sent The Monster to school just so that I could send out resumes. I applied to 28 online postings. Wow! I'm surprised that there are any postings at all given the craptastic economy. Wish me luck that I get one of these jobs. I hate that my career is on hold. I'm lucky that I have this temp gig (however awful it is... more on this below), but I seriously want to get my legal career back on track. I have a good feeling right now that something will work out. But I am kinda bipolar when it comes to this stuff - ask Big D, Margaret, or Megan. They get an earful each time a lead dries up and my hopes get let down. The easy solution would be to not get my hopes up, but I'm too optimistic for that.

I actually have an interview tomorrow. It's at a small firm that does the kind of work I used to do. I did a little reconnaisance though, and found out that they have fired eight attorneys in three years. Yes. Eight attorneys. That does not sound good. I've never heard of such high turnover. Oh wait! Yes I have! I'm going to go to the interview tomorrow, but I'm certainly not going to take the job. I don't need a repeat of this shiz. It would be nice, though, to get an offer. My self-esteem could use the boost. And who knows, maybe it'll be so good that I can't turn it down. Of course, then I'll be worried constantly that I'll get fired the first time The Monster gets sick. Despite being completely honest with Gruff Old Boss about the fact that I have a kid that will get sick, but that I would get my work done, I ended up f.i.r.e.d. I thought you had to steal or sleep on the job to get fired. Apparently, a daughter with croup is enough. Oh well, karma will bite him in the butt one day. Other than the interview tomorrow, I do have another lead working. As usual, it'll lead to a dead end, and then Big D, Megan, and Margaret will have to hear all about it through alternating sobs and anger.

I went to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror while I was washing my hands. (Quick side note: have you ever noticed the number of people who do NOT wash their hands in a public restroom after using the facilities? NASTY! I cannot think of anything more disgusting. And then they go and touch doorknobs and copy machines. I wish I could wear gloves all the time.) So I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I look like death warmed over today. For real. I look so pale and icky. It's like I forgot to put on make up this morning. (I'm not one of those beautiful women who can roll out of bed, throw their hair in a pony tail, and look cute. I have to work at it... and part of that work includes 10 minutes of make up each morning.) Gosh I look like ass.

I have to complain for a second more... I work in a downtown highrise in a big law firm that takes up like 12 floors. This place sucks. There is a lunch room with tons of microwaves that you can use to heat up your lunch. And you can eat up there. It's where I eat my tunafish lunches so as to not to bother my co-workers with tuna smell. (If only my co-workers would be as considerate.) In any event, the lunch room was closed for renovations after the start of the new year. Which means I can't use the microwaves. There is a microwave in a nearby coffee bar, but get this: I'm not allowed to use it. Why? Because I'm not an actual employee. I'll say that again: I can't use the microwave on this floor - even though I could use the ones upstairs - because I'm contract. I wish I could say "F You!" to the management of this place. I seriously hate being treated like a second class citizen here. I've got to get out of this place. But before I get a new job, what on earth can I bring for lunch? No fridge, no microwave. If I have another PB&J, I'll puke! Suggestions, please.

Enough rambling for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that thing about the microwave? That's crazy.
As for lunch, sometimes I pack a piece of banana bread in Busy's lunchbox instead of a sandwich. Or, what about a muffin? You could pair the bread or the muffin with fruit. Can you tell I like breakfast stuff? Ha!