No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth. I started my contract gig last week, and let me just say it straight up: IT SUCKS! I wonder what kind of crappy karma I have right now. Sure, the pay isn't too bad, but the contract attorneys at this awesome-huge-law-firm are treated like scum of the earth. Only with a really awesome coffee maker. It makes any kind of coffee or tea! There's a set of drawers on the counter next to it, with tons of different packets. And you pick what you want... french roast, breakfast blend, decaf... it can make espresso shots. It can make cappuccino. It can make a Milky Way latte. THere are lots of tea selections too. You just pick from a menu, put a cup under it, put your packets in, and voila, a single serving of caffeinated goodness. And yes, it's got a mocha option, which I indulge in twice a day. My first couple of days there, I was hating life. Especially because I can look past my computer monitor and see my old office from when I worked with Margaret. It made me tear up everytime I looked that direction the entire week. I went from being treated like a professional, to be treated worse than when I was a sacker at the local grocery store when I was 16. And there's no internet access and we're not allowed to talk on our cell phones... or to each other! OMG! They've got a lactation room, and I go there twice a day (down from three times a day, so as to take away less time at work... which has reslted in my supply dropping by about 7 ounces a day - eek!). That first week, I'd cry while in the lactation room because of how awful I've been feeling. Is this something I've brought on myself? Or is this just one of those things that happens? However, now that I'm ending week two, I feel better about it. Life is unfair sometimes. Sometimes you get dealt a crappy hand. My theme song for this chapter of my life is "Just a Ride" by Jem.* It's hard to not look back and criticize every decision that got me to this point (like going to law school in the first place and incurring 80 THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of student loan debt for it) (yes, you read that right). But I've got to look forward and make the best of this. I do have a lead working at an oil and gas company. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, no Monster pictures. You're focusing on the 80 grand anyway. And that doesn't even include my undergrad loans... seriously!
* No - not cartoon Jem with the pink hair. She's truly outrageous. I totally used to watch this when I was a kiddo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
we are the misfits.. our songs are better... we are the misfits.. and we're gonna get 'er!
Post a Comment