Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Shaking it off...

Ugh! There's nothing more depressing than reading my sad, pathetic entry whining about how hard my life is! I know this phase is temporary, so I'm going to do my best to shake it off and get back to being my usual chipper self.

So, here's something funny... Gruff Old Boss is old school. He carries a little tape recorder everywhere he goes, and when the moment strikes, he dictates letters to clients and memos to his peons. And he never sugar coats anything. Case in point: On Monday, I e-mailed for approval to attend some CLE (continuing legal education). We have to get a certain number of hours per year to keep our licenses up. So anyway, I sought and received approval from him for such a seminar. Yesterday, I received a memo from him. It said: "There is also a [X] seminar Aug. 7th and 8th in [southern city] that looks good too, but I would highly recommend you go to the [my field] thing since you don’t know very much." My edits may take away from how freakin' hilarious this is. He spent his time actually dictating a memo to me to drive home the point that I'm new in this particular field? Seriously? When I read this, I started cracking up. I mean, really. He is so unlike my old boss, who was never confrontational, despite his Army career. But I don't mind. Gruff Old Boss is a redhead too, and we just can't help ourselves sometimes.

I've started bathing The Monster upstairs in her own bathtub. She has outgrown the little baby bathtub now that she's pulling up. She drops toys outside the perimeter of it, then tries to crawl out to get them. So she's up in a normal bathtub. She's so cute. She looks so tiny in the big bath! She has started playing with the cup that I use to rinse her off. She bangs it against the marble wall. It's loud has hell, but so darn cute. And she crawls around in the tub too. Such a sweetie. She used to HATE baths. I remember a conversation with Margaret a while back. I would only bathe The Monster every other day, because she would just scream bloody murder the whole time. Margaret was like, "You have to do it every day, so she gets used to it." She was right. I can hardly believe that the baby who splashes around in the tub until her toes are wrinkly used to throw such hissy fits in the tub. Here's a picture of her post-bath smile... cute towel, huh?


At school, they have a little piano for the kiddos to play with. I've noticed when I drop her off that it's one of the first things she goes for. So we got her something similar. She plays with it for a second then tries to flip it over. I have a feeling she'll be one of those kids that takes things apart just to see how they work. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.



Here is a picture of my big girl in her crib taking a nap. We were just about to wake her up. There's also a picture of her right after we got her up. That 70's looking blanket was mine when I was a kiddo. It's got mushrooms on it. It's fugly, but I just love it since it reminds me of when I was tiny. It's Carter's brand, which is cool, because that's one of my favorite brands now... most of The Monster's clothes are Carter's. She's so thin and tall that it's hard to find clothes that fit her without being way too wide or way too short.


Play time!



Look at that smile!!! Those dimples are all Big D! I wish I could kiss those sweet cheeks right now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That smile and those dimples are priceless! What a cutie pie! I'm so proud of her that she adjusted so well to sleeping in her own crib by herself.

Just you wait, pretty soon she will fight you to not get out of the bath. My two-and-a-half-year-old stinker will stay in there for an hour if I let her. Now she even tries to do the flips she does in the pool in the bath, and she tells me to count while she holds her breath for 20 seconds. They just seem to love that water.

Gruff Old Boss is hilarious (at least from the outside looking in). What's strange is that the old boss was also red-headed (well, now gray-headed), and does not seem to have the temperment of a red-head.

Good luck. Things will definitely start looking up very soon.

Megan said...

Awwwww, I love the waking up pic. She's so darn cute. :)

Corrie said...

Dear Monster,
Your mommy said for me to tell you Puffs are good. They are. However, if all you want to eat is a variety of squash, so be it. It obviously agrees with you. I don't like girls yet, but if I did...
Walter