Friday, May 1, 2009

I Have News

It's good news. I've accepted a job with my parents. It's not the type of law that I went to law school to practice, but it'll do. More importantly, this job is in line with my priorities.

See - when I got out of law school, I had to work downtown. I only looked at law firms with downtown offices. I wanted the prestige. I wanted the glamour. I wanted an office on the 36th floor. And I got it. And I was happy.

But over time, my priorities have changed. I've moved out to the suburbs and had a kiddo. Spending two hours on the road each day commuting no longer appeals to me. That's time away from my daughter. Right now she won't notice too much, but one day, she'll be taking piano lessons or have gymnastics. One day, I'll have parent-teacher conferences and Muffins with Moms breakfasts to attend. And I don't want to miss a moment. So Big D and I talked about me getting a job in the suburbs when he was out of his residency. (Downtown jobs pay more and frankly, we need the money while he's in residency.) My parents' office is in the 'burbs, but a different one. It takes an hour to get there, which will suck, but they want to open an office in my neck of the woods in the next couple of years. Perfect timing.

I hesitated taking a job with them, because I didn't want them to take me on out of pity and not be able to afford me. But after a long discussion with both of them yesterday, it became clear that they do need another attorney. I'll be sent to court - a lot. I haven't been in a courtroom in a year, so I'm totally nervous. I'm hoping it's like riding a bike.

Anyway - so I'm gainfully employed again. And with bosses that won't fire me when my Monster gets sick! I feel good about the decision. And I look forward to working in a place that allows me to use the microwave!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Congratulations Annie! You sound really at peace with the decision. And most of all, it is right for you family.

Mommy Bee said...

What wonderful news! Congrats!