So I've had the last week off, yet I've still taken The Monster to school. Honestly, I can't get much done with her around. She's so curious and playful - she takes all of my energy and attention, and I have needed to focus on job hunting. When I'm going to stay home for the day, I get up about 15 minutes or so before she does. I get dressed, put on my makeup, and half-ass a hairdo. Then I get her school bag together and her milk ready. And I get her up and we do our normal morning routine as if nothing was different. Only after I drop her off, I turn left at the stoplight instead of right, and I head home. Then my clothes go back on their hangers, and my pajama pants magically reappear.
Today, I realized we were out of some critical items, even though I went to the grocery store on Monday. So I made a list and headed to our new local grocery store. I had a coupon for a free pint of ice cream... which I definitely could not pass up. I was in the frozen food section, happily putting my pint of Cookies 'n' Cream into the buggy, when from about 10 feet away, I heard, "Hi Mrs. XX." The sorority girl that I am, I looked up with a smile, and then realized I was completely busted! Standing before me was one of The Monster's teachers! She had run up to the store to grab some stuff for the school day. I was absolutely mortified!!! I said, "OMG - you caught me in the grocery store! I totally have the day [eh hem - week] off and needed to get some stuff done!" My cheeks were bright red. She smiled and said she understood. She's got a little boy, and she said she does the same thing. I made fun of myself - so she didn't have to - for getting dressed up in work clothes and pretending to go to work. Big D always thinks I'm crazy for doing that. He says we pay them good money to do activities with our kiddo and to teach her stuff, so why not enjoy a day off. But still, I feel guilty - and it would be worse if they actually knew I was at home. Well, now they know - at least this time. The Monster's teacher swore that she wouldn't tell anyone, but I know they're laughing at my ass right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I agree with Big D, you are CRAZY for dressing up like you are going to work. It is no business of theirs what you do when you drop the Monster off. And you have no idea how many stay at home moms send their kids to daycare to get things done around the house. Don't feel guilty, you have things to do. At least this way, when you get the Monster home, you can give her your complete attention because what you needed to get done you got done while she was in school. That's a hilarious story though!!
Oh Annie - you crack me up!!
Post a Comment